The Next Generation of Talent
After 7 successful years of its one-week summer course, Opera Europa is proposing a reformatted Opera Management Course, designed to recognise the culture shift in the arts world by equalising access, representing diversity and creating inclusion within the workforce. Its aim is to foster talent from all backgrounds and to inspire rewarding professional careers in opera.
Opera Management Course 2021-22 will be hybrid. It would mainly revolve over bimonthly online sessions, with potentially two meet-up opportunities at Opera Europa events, conditions permitting.
The successful candidates should form a heterogeneous group of high potential opera managers, under the age of 35, and be fully supported in their training by their opera company; guaranteeing they can attend all sessions and that travel costs incurred will be met. Seeking to address a wider and more diverse pool of talented professionals, Opera Europa welcomes especially applications or nominations of candidates from groups currently underrepresented in opera management.
The recruitment process is now open, so that the selection may be carried out over the summer and the course launched with a presentation of the candidates on World Opera Day 25 October. So please recommend your candidate now!
The course will address ‘eternal verities’ such a programming, budgeting, audience development, but also new dimensions of opera management which are transpiring as priorities for the sector.
The proposed course curriculum includes a few events (online and live), and a series of Monday sessions of a duration of up to 3 hours, including a presentation by an expert professional followed by a breakout discussion under the leadership of mentors.
- 25 October: opening session with introduction, presentation of mentors and participants; followed by attendance at Next Stage launch
- 18-20 November: meet at Opera Europa’s autumn conference, including sessions on Leadership
- 29 November: Next Stage – Green Opera
- 6 December: Next Stage – Equal Opportunities
- 13 December: Next Stage – Digital Transformation
- 10 January: Finance & Budgeting
- 24 January: Programming
- 7 February: Planning & Production Management
- 21 February: Audience development
- 7 March: Marketing, Sales & Fundraising
- In March, optional attendance at the Next Stage conference
- In April: assignment in working groups
- Meet at Opera Europa’s spring conference, and closing event of the Opera Management Course
Header image: The Rite of Spring Stravinsky / Opera North / Tristram Kenton