The Independent Producers forum brings together independent opera producers, touring companies and professionals in the field of opera creation that takes place outside of the traditional opera house infrastructures. The following manifesto highlights 5 positive aspects of independent producing.
5 ASPECTS OF INDEPENDENT PRODUCING:
1. Flexibility: Independent Producers are leading small to mid-scale organisations averaging 1 to 5 part-time or full-time employees. A small organisation often means that each member assumes multiple roles within the organisation, resulting in distinctly coherent projects in which all aspects of a production (artistic, financial, administrative etc.) are integrated with each other. Independent Producers imagine their productions within flexible operational structures as well as flexibility in the number of staff and crew members needed.
2. Freedom: Creative freedom and artistic motivation are the driving forces at the heart of independent Producing. Independent Producers carry innovative artistic visions and are leaders in pioneering new creations and new forms of opera.
3. Specialisation: Most independent productions are project based and limited in number, averaging 1 to 5 productions a year. Independent Producers create high quality projects; they work with specialised artists and use specialised material (such as electronic or exotic instruments, new technology etc.) that are often unavailable in Opera Houses. Though highly specialised, they are a vital element of the opera ecosystem.
4. Alternative Attitude: Independent Producers are used to think out-of-the-box. Limited financial possibilities and limited infrastructures push them to create new artistic formats and to come up with different business models. By choice or out of necessity, Independent Producers end up developing alternative attitudes towards their work; they are familiar with different networks than those of opera houses, they use alternative venues, site specific venues or tour in theaters unaccustomed to opera, thus reaching out to a renewed and diverse audience. Independent Producers work with new performers and creators and have the capacity to follow the pace of social progress and quickly adapt to new environments.
5. Enthusiasm: Though differences in artistic formats, (such as collective creativity, trans-disciplinary projects etc.) or in operating and business models can potentially be challenging for coordinating projects with opera houses, Independent Producers have the potential to energise and motivate the staff of opera houses. Independent Productions are made of highly motivated team members each with a strong sense of mission.
The IPs forum invites all opera houses to consider co-productions with independent producers, who present valuable characteristics for producing opera in covid times and beyond. For more information about the Independent Producers’ forum please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.