Teatro Grande originates from a 17th century institution, Accademia degli Erranti, which founded the Theater around 1640 and devoted all its efforts to its management. The current room still has a horseshoe shape and was designed by Milan architect Luigi Canonica. It was opened in 1810. Teatro Grande has been managed by Fondazione Teatro Grande di Brescia since 2010. The main objectives are promoting e supporting tradition and contemporaneity, having a multi-disciplinary approach (Opera, Music, Dance), and attracting the young and new audience.